Friday, November 28, 2008

Elements and Intentions

This is a different sort of story for me. It's a story without an easily definable beginning. This is a story that won't have an ending until after, (hopefully long after,) the writing of it is finished. It's a memoir-ish story, which is an odd change of pace for someone who vastly prefers fiction and generally reserves the real life snippets for things like copyrights and writing contests.

In some ways, this story is admittedly tragic. In many ways, it's comedic. There's a protagonist and an antagonist, both residing in the same space. There's a stellar cast of supporting characters. There's conflict, danger, tests of endurance, stiff upper lips, laughing in the face of danger and moments of true despair, self-doubt and the occasional whisper of panic. It's a story that might be interesting or might seem to be self-serving and thus a dreadful bore. The elements are all here. I hope I do them justice.

If it's cathartic for the author, I'd prefer it to be equally worthy to the reader and not a complete waste of time. I would be happy indeed, if it gives comfort or help to those who need it the most. No, I'm not just referring to those of us who wear the "cranky chemo" hats. We have families, friends and acquaintances who certainly also have emotions invested. They are welcome to read this too. In fact, everyone is welcome.

All I ask is that you bear with me for a while. Ask questions if you like, but understand that I don't have all the answers. I just have cancer.

Don't worry. It's not contagious.

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

Sue. Thanks to Boyd I was able to get to your blog.

My daughter's mother-in-law has Lymphoma.She's been plagued with it for many years and is in her eighty's now still fighting it. I want to copy this for her, if I may.

In the sequel I'm writing to The Kahills of Willow Walk one of my characters is dealing with cancer. After reading your story I can more or less understand how she must feel and I am able to make her more real knowing what she's going through. Thank you very much for sharing your story. God Bless you.

Sylvia (Pee Wee)

Sue said...

Hi Sylvia,

By all means, copy whatever you like from my blog.

Ironically, several years ago I had a character who was in remission from non-hodgkins disease. Quite the ironic twist. (The standing joke is that from now on, my characters aren't going to suffer more than a sprained ankle.)

If I can be of any help blending a bit of truth into your fiction, please don't hesitate to ask questions. I truly don't mind.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Sue